Because Breaking Up Shouldn't Break the Bank!
Bates Family Law has streamlined the Uncontested Divorce process, offering divorcing couples in the Rochester area our most efficient and economical solution.
Family Court Firm with the
Bates Family Law?
- Divorce can be an overwhelming and challenging process, filled with uncertainty and endless questions. In times like these, having a reliable and empathetic legal team by your side can make all the difference. That’s where Bates Family Law comes in. With our streamlined approach, Alison Bates, our dedicated family law attorney, and her husband, Jeff Egburtson, a professional divorce mediator, provide couples in the Rochester area with an efficient and economical solution.
- Experience matters when it comes to divorce and family law cases, and Alison has an impressive track record. As one of the most sought after Rochester divorce attorneys, Alison has represented thousands of clients in matters of contested and uncontested divorce, child custody, and child support. In addition, Bates Family Law also offers Divorce Mediation , providing couples the opportunity to work together and reach an amicable resolution while saving them money.
- While most cases are settled outside the courtroom, Alison boasts well over a decade of trial experience in the Rochester area. This experience is invaluable, enabling her to make informed decisions about when to compromise and when to push negotiation points to court. Additionally, she maintains close relationships with other professionals, collaborating with experienced financial advisors, business evaluators, and accountants to provide clients with comprehensive solutions.
- What sets Bates Family Law apart is our shared commitment to our clients’ best interests. In their respective roles at the practice, Alison and Jeff’s goals emphasize the importance of communication and setting aside egos. They value introspection and actively listen to their clients’ concerns, recognizing the emotional turmoil that naturally accompanies divorce. By creating a safe and supportive environment, they help their clients feel understood, validated, and guided through the process with clarity and compassion.
- One of Bates Family Law’s distinguishing features is our exceptional communication. We understand the frustration of unanswered emails and phone calls during such a sensitive time. That’s why we prioritize timely responses, typically within a few hours. Being exceptional communicators ensures clients are always informed and supported.
- At the heart of our practice is a genuine passion for helping people. Alison and Jeff understand that divorce is often the lowest point in someone’s life, marked by uncertainty, sadness, anger, and fear. They provide a safe space for their clients to express their feelings without judgment, offering clarity, compassion, and support to alleviate their grief and sense of loss.
- Education is also a key focus for Bates Family Law. We strive to educate individuals about the alternatives to traditional litigated divorce: mediation and uncontested divorce. Both options are faster, less stressful, and more cost-effective than hiring separate attorneys. Check out our Rochester Family Law Blog for posts on these topics.
- The impact of your case on your quality of life and that of your children cannot be overstated. Bates Family Law takes a holistic approach, considering short- and long-term outcomes and carefully assessing options. We understand that navigating family changes can be an emotional process and provide a highly personal, compassionate approach to support you during this challenging time.
- Bates Family Law is a team effort, supported by dedicated professionals, our paralegal, Tiffany, and office manager, Laura, as well as Jolene, the lovable canine who heads the welcoming committee!
- With an office conveniently located halfway between Rochester and Canandaigua, we represent clients across Monroe and Ontario County. Our office has convenient, free parking and a discreet entrance. We are always willing to meet by phone or through a virtual conference.
- When you choose Bates Family Law, you’re not just getting legal representation—you’re gaining a supportive team dedicated to your best interests. With our streamlined approach, empathy, and commitment to communication, we will guide you through the divorce process with compassion and expertise, ensuring the best possible outcomes for everyone involved.
Schedule a Consultation
Working with an attorney is a highly personal experience and it is of utmost importance that you feel comfortable with us. We are confident that once you get to know us, you will want to work together. You can set up a consultation by email or phone. We look forward to meeting you.
79 WEST MAIN STREET Victor, NY 14564
The attorney you select will have a significant impact on your experience of getting divorced. Bates Family Law will make the process as stress-free as possible.
Lean on our experience and expertise, both in and out of the courtroom.
The outcome of your case will determine your future quality of life. Working with a family court lawyer with extensive experience both in and out of the courtroom is critical. Not only do we have years of trial experience in Rochester, but we have experience working inside the court system. The team’s experience includes work as a law clerk, an attorney for children, and a professor of family law.
The entire Bates Family Law team is dedicated to walking you through the process, every step of the way.
We take pride in our dedication to clear, compassionate, prompt communication.
Your emails and phone calls will never go unanswered. During this emotional time, most people want fast responses. We understand, and we are committed to open, honest, and timely communication. We keep you constantly informed until your case is resolved.
With extensive expertise and utmost care, we are here to help you reach the best possible outcome for your case.
When you are facing a divorce or family law case, it can feel like what is ahead is unmanageable. Let us help you take control of your case.
Uncontested Divorce in Rochester
Many people do not realize that New York is a no-fault divorce state. It is no longer necessary or even common to get a legal separation before getting divorced in the Rochester area. An uncontested divorce is the fastest and most budget-friendly path to marital dissolution. Often, an uncontested divorce can be accomplished with only one party retaining a lawyer.
Contested Divorce in Rochester
When an uncontested divorce is not possible, you will want a family court lawyer with extensive trial experience. When you are considering hiring a family court lawyer, it is important to ask about the number of divorce trials they have handled in the Rochester area.
Divorce for Rochester Business Owners or their Spouses
If you or your spouse own a business, it’s crucial to hire a divorce attorney who has comprehensive experience handling business assets. Not all divorce attorneys understand business valuations or the tax consequences of businesses. The special considerations of business owners require special knowledge from your lawyer.
Nothing is more important than your children. If you are facing parental alienation or your children are being coached, a child custody battle can be especially difficult. We have expertly conducted countless child custody trials, including initial determinations of the best interests of the children, modifications to prior orders, enforcement proceedings, and cases of parental alienation.
Divorce Mediation in Rochester
Have you tried to work through the issues with your spouse and keep "getting stuck" in the same pattern? Our mediators help couples shift into a new and productive way of communicating and problem solving, even while they are working towards their divorce. This family-centered process, in which the parties themselves are in control and empowered to make their own decisions, seeks to reduce the tension and trauma of divorce, not increase it. This enables couples to achieve a sense of wholeness by working together through the current issues and develop the necessary tools for resolving future differences.
Child support is much more complicated than a basic formula or a certain percentage of income. There are multiple considerations that go into calculating child support, especially if you or the other parent work in a cash business, is underemployed, or if you share equal time with the child. We are experienced in every aspect of determining child support. If child support is already established, we can even determine, often in a phone call, whether the amount you are currently paying or receiving is fair.
Orders of Protection
If you have been served with a Family Court Order of Protection or if you feel that you need an Order of Protection to keep you or your children safe, you must act fast. An Order of Protection against you can impact your job, your ability to see your children, your right to live in your home, and your right to possess firearms. If a temporary Order of Protection was issued against you without you being present, you have a right to have the Order of Protection reevaluated right away. If you are seeking an Order of Protection, we will help you apply for the order, most often within 24 hours.
Family Law Blog
What our clients are saying...
“Alison represented our daughter from birth until the finalization of her adoption. She was the most knowledgeable, patient, and thorough attorney we could possibly have worked with. While navigating the Family Court system can be incredibly confusing and taxing, Alison took the time to explain every step, and advocated tirelessly for the best interests of our child.”
– Julia C.
“Alison helped me get my kids back in my life! I had an order of protection against me that didn’t allow me to see my kids for 3 months... The day after the court date I was able to see my kids again... I can’t imagine what the outcome would have been if I didn’t have Alison in my corner. Forever Grateful!”
– Mike P.
“Alison Bates is not just my attorney. Alison Bates is a warrior who battled to make sure my son and I could be together. Alison Bates was my light on a very dark, lonely and scary path. Now I look into my son's eyes and it is hard not to think about Alison and all she did in helping me maintain that unbreakable bond.”
– Mark I.
“Alison has been phenomenal during a very challenging divorce. Her empathy and compassion for my situation while being direct with the realities of the legal system were reassuring and made me feel secure in the path we were taking every step of the way...”
– Tiffany R.
“Alison was a source of compassion and support to me during a very difficult time. She is very knowledgeable and a strong advocate when needed. I appreciated her prompt responses and straightforward manner. When things became difficult, I felt glad to have her in my corner.”
– Kristen H.
“When I first met Alison, I was a recently separated father experiencing parental alienation and was having limited access to my child despite my requests to the mother. Alison explained to me that what I was experiencing was not uncommon early on in the separation process and fought hard on my behalf to resolve the matter in a fair and equitable way. Alison was efficient, reliable, and provided clear communication throughout the entire process. I would highly recommend her representation in any family law or divorce proceedings.”
– Cory G.